Harold Edwin Canady, Jr.
Harold Edwin Canady, Jr.
Harold Edwin Canady, Jr. March 22, 1945 Born in Miami, Okla. proceeded in death by: parents Harold E. Canady and Bertha M. Smith Canady; Wife, Ester Sue Elliot Canady; Son, Brett Canady; Sister, Rhonda Sue Canady Delmont; Survived by: Son, Chad Canady and wife Shawnell; Wonderful Granddaughters, Alyssa Canady and Miranda Canady; Sisters Opal Canady Trites and husband Rodney Trites and their families. Mary Kay Canady McMullin and husband Larry McMullin and their families. Numerous Nieces, Nephews, cousins, family members, and friends too many to count.

Harold was raised in Picher, Okla. where he had a wonderful childhood with his numerous friends roaming the vast and wonderful outdoor playground that is now only in dreams. All of his life he thought of himself as a "Cowboy" amongst a tribe of Indians. He also dressed the part whenever he could. He was often seen with a gun strapped to his hip and a rifle in the other.

He attended Picher-Cardin Schools and graduated with the class of 1963. He joined the Air Force at the age of 18 during the beginning of the Viet Nam war. He was a member of the Black Knights of the Mekong Delta Bombers, the first unit to fly into Viet Nam. For the remainder of this life when asked where he was from he always said, "Picher", even though he never resided there again.

After a short courtship with Ester Sue Elliot, on Nov. 3, 1967 they were married in Picher, Okla. He always said that she turned his life around completely. He always wanted to be a "Hells Angel" but entered the field of education instead. He graduated from Missouri Southern State University in Joplin with a Masters in Administration from Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg. It was because of Harold that so many of his family members have gone on to finish college. This is one his greatest memoirs. He often brags about the doctors, lawyers, engineers, journalist, medical professionals, administrators, teachers, and others who are there because of him. We always told him that we thought that, "if he can do it, so can we!" This was a family joke that was enjoyed by all. Harold taught at Picher High School for three years and taught another 32 years in Chetopa, Kan. where he was the Superintendent for seven years. He believed that he was brought forth on this earth to help people. He felt that by teaching he could help them accomplish this in their life. He had more friends that were his former students than he could count. 

After his retirement from the school system he then went back to college to learn how to be a specialized Harley Davidson mechanic. He was the "oldest" student to graduate from the Harley Davidson School at Ft. Scott, Kansas. He often said, "That keeping up with the young ones was the hardest part of the job!" He then built his own Harley motorcycle the "Road Dog." He also worked as a reporter for the Miami News Record covering local school board meetings and other local news.

Harold and his wife Susie, and their boys Chad and Brett lived on the family farm south west of Columbus, Kan. for over 40 years. Their youngest son, Brett, was killed in a car accident in 1998. Susie preceded him in death after a short battle with cancer in 2009.

Throughout his retirement years Harold and Susie had many memorable "road trips" on their Harley traveling from coast to coast. This was their "dream come true."

The light of his recent life has been having his granddaughters live with him for the past two years. There would be days when he could hardly get out of his chair and the next thing we'd know he'd be loading the horses for the 4H events. He has enjoyed sitting in the mall as they shop for new clothes, going to the ballgames and hearing all the new music.

His most enjoyed holiday of the year was Thanksgiving. This was the one time of the year when he and his sisters and their families would do their best to all get together. We'd usually have about 30 people in attendance. This year was the roughest for Harold but he was there and thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the children from ages two and up. His nephews from Wisconsin coming made his day!

Harold began his battle with cancer in 2008. He has "Cow Boyed" up the entire time. His idol "John Wayne" has been with him through his battle. It has been a rough five years. Numerous trips to Oklahoma City and several surgeries. His Chemotherapist was Dr. John McMinn. After his first visit Dr. Minn and Harold discovered that they were 4th cousins. This made this relationship much more than being a doctor patient relationship. We'd like to thank Dr. McMinn and his staff for his personal service and caring visits to Oklahoma City.

Services will be held 2 p.m., Friday, May 24, 2013 at the Paul Thomas Funeral Home in Miami, with Paul Ingram Thomas officiating. Interment will follow in the Greenlawn Cemetery in Treece, Kan., under the direction of Paul Thomas Funeral Home in Miami. The family will receive friends and relatives from 11 a.m. to service time on Friday. Pallbearers will be Mindy Riddle, Brandy Gilmore, Jimmy Gilmore, Clark Hutchins, Tom Irwin and Pete Riddle. Online condolences maybe made at http://www.paulthomasfuneralhomes.com